Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son took my vehicle a week ago. i have sent the demand…

Customer Question
My son took my...

My son took my vehicle a week ago. i have sent the demand letter and done all i know i can do thus far. how can i get the police to file a report before the 10 days? i have text with his omission of guilt and intent to not return the car. i did put additional instructions on my certified letter stating i demanded the return of the vehicle within 24 hours of getting the letter. an officer told me to add that. can i use this in y favor?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas and i financed it used 2 months ago, from clay cooley

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I told the police and tried to get them to file but they say i have to wait 10 days for him to return it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/10/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Police have discretion to determine when to investigate a crime, and if so, how long to wait before doing so. If they have an established policy of waiting 10 days, there isn't any way to get them to do it sooner. A judge can't order police to investigate when they receive a report, because of the separation of powers doctrine. However, you could try calling and talking to a superior officer about why you believe they should take immediate action.

Your other options are to simply go pick the car up, if you know where it is. It's your car, so you can do that. Or you can file a lawsuit for the value of the car, plus punitive damages. You won't get a court date within 10 days, most likely, but you could file and serve him with notice so he sees that you're serious about getting the car back.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

no its a lot more in depth than that.

What else do you think I need to know?