Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was court ordered to pay restitution to a private party…

I was court ordered...

I was court ordered to pay restitution to a private party and i did in three installments. on march 2 this party filed a judgement against me trying to get pd twice what can i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minn

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

3/10/2018
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did you pay it through the court or directly to the person?

.

Do you have proof of payment... receipts, cancelled check, money order stub, etc.?

.

.

thanks

no i gave her cash but my oldest daughter drove me to bank and then to party to pay debt.
no i just want a typed answer i thought this site was freee it misrepresents itself in the ad. very frustrating.

Ok, then you are in kind of a tough situation because you don't have any proof that you paid. So you are going to have to defend in court using only your verbal testimony that you paid and daughter's testimony that she took you to the bank and then to pay them.

.

I might see if you can get a copy of any bank records showing that there was a withdrawal made on the date you paid the person to back up your story..

.

.

thanks

do you mean i should take her to court to prove i pd her?

You said she filed a judgment against you... if she tries to collect on that judgment, which has been paid, then you would have to sue her to get the judge to issue an order stating it has been satisfied.

ok i have my answer.
Thank you so much.Shelli

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law