Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My claimed got denied months ago because geico suspected it…

Hello, my claimed got...

Hello, my claimed got denied months ago because geico suspected it was a fraud, they didn’t pay anything to me but now months later, they referred me to a criminal investigator, and he wants to meet up with me, am I gonna be charged or arrested?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What happenes if I don’t meet with the CIU agent, he said he wants to hear my side of the story, will I still be charged?

3/10/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Are you online with me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
am here
Can you tell me why they suspect the claim was fraudulant?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because the day I bought the insurance and the date I filed the claim were close
Thank you for the additional information.
That is not fraud, in and of itself, and not enough for you to be charged.
There is no reason for you to give any statement to their investigator. The investigator is not trying to help you. He is trying to gather evidence to have you charged with insurance fraud.
If they had enough to charge you then you would have been.
Any further communication with the insurance company should be through your attorney, as this is now adversarial, but for now just tell them you will not be giving any statement or providing any further cooperation with their investigation.
If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does it matter if guilty or not Guilty?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I definitely need to hire an attorney?
It does not matter if you are guilty or not. It matters what the evidence shows and what they can prove.
You can hold off retsining counsel for now and just decline to cooperate any further.
If contacted by law enforcement then it is time to retain a defense attorney.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was contacted by a criminal investigation unit agent, that is a law enforcement right?
That sounds like it is an insurance investigator, not a police officer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you for using JA.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they’re saying they got a witness at the apartment complex that I live at and she’s saying the date the incident happened is different from the day I told the insurance company
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure I’ll give you the 5 star ratings
All the more reason to stop cooperating.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s what I thought too as the CIU detective is asking to meet at a police station
Sounds like he is trying to scare you.
They do not have enough evidence to charge you.
Otherwise, you would have been charged already and they would not need a ststement from you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help.
You are very welcome.
Thank you for using JA.
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer