Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I live in Ohio and I was recently recorded while in a public…

I live in Ohio...

I live in Ohio and I was recently recorded while in a public restroom but inside of a private stall with the door closed. The person climbed up in the stall next to me and video recorded over the stall wall and then climb down got on the floor and recorded under the stall wall. What are my legal ramifications for this

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I just found out this evening that this happened. She then posted the video on Facebook where it was viewed approximately 300 times and then eventually taken down

3/10/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Do you know who the person was who took this video of you?

Not only is something like this a major invasion of your privacy for which you could hire a civil lawyer and sue the person who did that, but this is a criminal offense.

We have an expectation of privacy in a dressing room or in the stalls of a restroom and this is a violation of your state's voyeurism law. Here is the law as to this:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2907.08

Go to the police, if you haven't as yet done so. Report this as a crime and tell them that you want this person prosecuted for what he/she did and the public embarrassment it caused you before Facebook finally took it down.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Zoe. Yes I do know the person who took the video. I appreciate your advice. I thought that was the case that this is an invasion of privacy and was a criminal offense. I will be going to the police and making a report. Thank you

It can be handled both civilly and criminally and frankly under circumstances like this, if it happened to me, I would not be inclined to be forgiving about it.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Good luck!

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD