Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was on Omegle and there was this girl that asked if we…

Second opinion] I was...

Second opinion] I was on Omegle and there was this girl that asked if we could Snapchat and gave me her snap name. She said she was 18 and wanted a nude pic. I was being dumb and sent one then she started saying she was twelve and calling the police. I�m so scared that that one dumb decision will ruin the rest of my life and me ending up in jail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

I�m from Minnesota idk about her this afternoon. She then said she was kidding and just a joke but now I am paranoid.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am not aware of any but she kept saying she was going to the police and that her father was a cop

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope. Is this gonna cost anything?

3/10/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. This sounds a lot like a common criminal scam...what is your question regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am I going to go to jail for this incident?

No. What you are describing is a VERY common criminal scam. I field this exact question several times each week. Criminal work together to trick folks like you, pretending to be a minor (and a separate confederate works with them to pretend to be the father) to pay money. Dont pay them money (again, this is a scam).

If you like, you can report this to law enforcement...they are committing a crime (extortion).

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should not worry about authorities coming to arrest me or anything?

This is a criminal scam. If you stop communicating with them? They will move to their next victim.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you much

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi Phil,I’m still paranoid of this incident. I was wondering if there is anyway to know for sure that I’m not going to be investigated for this incident?

I understand the anxiety. There is no way to know, for certain, that you are not being investigated/ . That said, you are describing a very common criminal scam...these criminals have no intention of reporting this to the police. So I would not worry

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Alrighty. As far as an investigation would they just show up at my house and arrest me or would the ask me questions first and I would get a chance to share my side of the story?

They would show up and question you before arrest. But IF you are questioned by law enforcement you should NOT speak to them. NO good reason to...keep quiet to protect yourself.

But again, I would not worry more...they police are not going to arrest you

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok I’m going to try my best and forget this whole thing and pray that this does not pop up in the future. How far in the future would you say would be an appropriate time to feel safe and able to not worry about it completely?

If you do not hear in 3 months? You will not hear from them at all.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That’s for sure? Could you explain that a little more?

In most criminal investigations, arrests are made within a few weeks of the report. So if your case goes 3 months? IT is highly unlikely they would arrest you

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
your saying that if there is no case or anything filed in 3 months I should be 100% fine?

yes

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok thank you for taking the time and informing me about this incident I truly do appreciate it and I’m hoping that I can be all done with this. If I have any further questions I may reach out to you.

:)

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
from here on out I should not worry about this?

I would not

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok thank you
P. Simmons, Lawyer