Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was on Omegle and there was this girl that asked if we…

I was on Omegle...

I was on Omegle and there was this girl that asked if we could Snapchat and gave me her snap name. She said she was 18 and wanted a nude pic. I was being dumb and sent one then she started saying she was twelve and calling the police. I’m so scared that that one dumb decision will ruin the rest of my life and me ending up in jail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

I’m from Minnesota idk about her this afternoon. She then said she was kidding and just a joke but now I am paranoid.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am not aware of any but she kept saying she was going to the police and that her father was a cop

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope. Is this gonna cost anything?

3/10/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Did she ask you for money not to report you? Did you continue to chat and exchange pictures after she said she was only kidding? Does she have your name, address, phone number?

She asked for a million dollars to not report her. No more pictures, but we chatted as I was begging for her to not turn me in. She said she had my address but would not give it to me when I asked her for it three times. All she had was my name off Snapchat.
I don’t want this to ruin my life I thought she was eighteen at the time of sending the picture. I would never send it to a minor if I would know she is one.

First of all, you didn't do anything wrong. You had no intention of sending anything explicit to a minor. You were told that she was 18 and when she later said she was 12, you didn't send more photos or discuss sex.

She doesn't really know where you are. And you were conversing on an app rather than via text on your phone. So she wouldn't be able to trace you. I don't know how old she really is, but you didn't break the law. Block any further contact with her. I doubt you'll hear anything further in regard to this. What 12-year-old girl would tell her police officer father that she asked some man on an adult site for a nude photo and got one? The story was just designed to scare you.

Ok thank you much I have been arinoid all day long. So your sure that I should have no on going issues with this situation?

I don't see how she could really find you. But like I said, you had no intention of sending anything to a minor. This was a rather sick prank. Just make sure and block her.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Already blocked. I just don’t want to be looking over my shoulder worried about going to jail because of this.

I don't see how you would. She assured you she was of age and then entrapped you. You'd have a defense to the charge.

Zoey_ JD
Alright thank you.

You're very welcome.

Hi Zoey,I’m still paranoid of this incident. I was wondering if there is anyway to know for sure that I’m not going to be investigated for this incident?

No. Not short of calling the police and asking, which is the last thing in the world that you should do. You could hire a lawyer to call and do it for you.

But it's been close to a month with no further contact from anyone at all. So I suggest that the problem is more in your mind than anywhere else. You would be the very first to know if something had happened. And it hasn't.

I’m sure it is just in my mind but it’s always in the back of my mind that something could happen or that the police will show up at my door one day for this. I’m worried this may ruin my future.

You didn't do anything wrong. I've already told you that you committed no crime. So it can't ruin your life. YOU can ruin your own life, however, by simply worrying yourself sick about it, however. You don't have a legal problem.

Ok so your saying that I’m fine and should have no issues in the future with this going forward?

I'm saying that even if they were to charge you, you couldn't be convicted under the facts you've provided.

Ok I’m going to try and forget this whole thing happened and pray that nothing comes of this whole incident. Thanks

You're very welcome. You should be just fine.

Is it true that this is a very common scam and they are committing the crime of extortion?

See link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sextortion+scam&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS525US525&oq=sextortion+scam&aqs=chrome..69i57j35i39j0l2.4319j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8https://www.google.com/search?q=sextortion+scam&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS525US525&oq=sextortion+scam&aqs=chrome..69i57j35i39j0l2.4319j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ok thank you so much I truly do appreciate you taking all this time to help me with this circumstance.

No problem. Happy holidays!

Holidays?

Easter/Passover, if applicable.

Oh thanks you too. if applicable. If I have any further questions I may reach out to you for assistance.

Yes. Just begin a new chat thread and start if off with "For Zoey. Other experts will see that you've asked for me and should leave it for me.