Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I was arrested for assault and the charges dropped, can…

Customer Question
If I was arrested...

If I was arrested for assault and the charges dropped, can that impact my ability to travel to canada?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

NH and 5 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There was an arrest, a charge was filed and dismissed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/10/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thanks- I have a record showing the charges were dismissed entirely- no conditions etc.... dismissed in entirety.... Just wondering if it will be an issue when I try to travel to Canada?

Good evening,

According to the relevant Canadian legislation, inadmissibility should not be based upon an offense for which there has been a final determination of an acquittal. In other words, a dismissed charge should not be used as grounds to prevent entry to Canada. Canada is very strict on admissibility of persons convicted, but merely having a charge, without a conviction, is not grounds for denial.

That said, it would be a good idea to have a copy of the dismissal with you, in the event border officials do question the charge.

Ok... I am supposed to travel there with friends and it's a bit embarrassing (I was a victim of domestic violence, lied about it and the police had to arrest someone, and arrested me and obviously the charges were then dropped). I haven't exactly shared this with everyone I am traveling with and it was nearly 5 yrs ago.... Will I be questioned about it in front of everyone?

Generally, agents at border crossings will ask a few questions to persons entering the country about their citizenship, how long you intend to stay in the country, if you are bringing anything into the country, etc. That's usually done out in the open. If they believe that someone is suspicious or needs further questioning or a person is not cooperating, they of course have the right to detain a person and question them more. I cannot guarantee what will happen -I have no way of knowing. It may not come up at all, because the border agent should be able to see that the charge is dismissed. But I can't promise you that if they wish to ask you more about it that they won't just "blurt it out" in the open, as opposed to taking you off to the side.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.