Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was asualted 18 monthes ago, I did not know the name of…

Customer Question
I was asualted 18 monthes...
I was asualted 18 monthes ago, I did not know the name of the assailant. I recently received a statement from a witness in an email statenent that gave me his name how do I press change against my assailant.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/9/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 month ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Despite an ambulance and a victim compensation being notified I am not finding a police report.

You would just go to the police and report the crime. Let them know that it took you this long to find out the name of your assailant but that now you want to get assault charges pressed. Let them know as well that you got immediate medical attention, that there would be hospital records and that victim's compensation was notified.

The statute of limitations for a simple assault (misdemeanor assault) is 2 years in Georgia and it's 4 years for a felony. So regardless of the seriousness of your injuries at the time, you would still be in time to get this case underway.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I just clarified my queston and you referred my question.
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 20 days ago

Actually, you asked a very different question, which is why I referred it. On this question you were only asking how to report a crime and whether it was outside of the statute of limitations. I gave you a complete answer to this question.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
When do I get a response from the reffered lawyer.
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 19 days ago

If another lawyer believes he can give you a good answer to that question, he or she will pick it up and JustAnswer will send you an email.

Criminal Lawyer: Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 17 days ago
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Police would not always generate a report unless they performed some type of investigation where witnesses were questioned, evidence was gathered etc. So just because an ambulance responded does not necessarily mean that there will be a police report.

Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson