Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am in McHenry Co. Illinois. I am being accused of taking…

Hi I am in McHenry...
Hi I am in McHenry Co. Illinois. I am being accused of taking some of a friendsudden pain medication. She filed a police report. Soon I have a 1st court date for petty theft misdemeanor. I have never had this before !! What will happen the 1st day, what could be the outcome ? Thanks Barb.
3/9/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this, Barb. First of all, understand how this works. Nothing will likely happen at the first heating. This will be your first hearing and this is normally an ARRAIGNMENT, where one pleads GUILTY or NOT GUILTY. If you plead guilty, you may be sentenced or at the very least the case would have been over with you being convicted. Ergo, individuals in your situation generally always want to plead NOT GUILTY.

Now, the case is going to be reset. These hearings will reset several times to allow your attorney and the prosecutor (DA) to discuss a plea deal. Normally, the case is reset about 3-4 times before you have to make a choice:

1) plead guilty and simply have the Court sentence you (not recommended);
2) take the matter to trial and risk either being convicted and sentenced, or, acquitted of charges (fairly risky); or
3) make a plea deal with the DA.

About 85% or more of such charges end with a plea deal.

The DA's leverage is that possible certainty that you would be found guilty if he takes this to trial. Your leverage is not only possibility of being found not guilty if taken to trial, but also the pressure exerted unto the DA if the defense pushes for trial, which means man hours, preparation, and a lot of court time. Since the DA often juggles dozens (if not hundreds) of cases at once, they often agree to a plea deal which may include:

-a pleading of guilty for a lesser offense and straight probation/parole;
-a deferred sentence, which is an agreement for first-time offenders for non-violent and low-level crimes wherein if you agreea to participate in a probation program, pay a fine, and does some community yours, the prosecutor will drop the charges against the you once the program is completed successfully; or
-another type of plea deal favorable to you.

A deferred prosecution option is very likely to be offered, so it may not even end up with a conviction.

For the matter overall, if you do not have an attorney, you may typically ask for a reset to find counsel. If you cannot afford counsel, then you may say that to the Court, and then the Court will question your finances to determine if a court-appointed attorney may be provided.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Thank you this really clarifies things for me...I was scared and worried about jail...you did a great job ! 5 stars !!!!!

Thank you for your kind words. Good luck...