Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son is a JR however we have been calling him Eljaiee (LJ)

Customer Question
My son is a...

My son is a JR however we have been calling him Eljaiee (LJ) since day one. I never put the name Eljaiee on his birth certificate and now doctor records and insurance cards are getting mixed up. Can I call places and use my sons nickname to stop all the confusion?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No From what I have been reading I have to go to the court and change his name. However the father doesn’t want to listen to my reasoning.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/10/2018
Criminal Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you receive a phone call offer, kindly disregard the offer. The offer is being made to you automatically by the site and not by me. Also, I do not participate in the phone call program.

Your Question:

So my son is a JR however we have been calling him Eljaiee (LJ) since day one. I never put the name Eljaiee on his birth certificate and now doctor records and insurance cards are getting mixed up. Can I call places and use my sons nickname to stop all the confusion?

Response: Unfortunately, you cannot do that without a formal name change. You must use his legal name, the name that appears on his Birth Certificate on his records--insurance, medical, etc. If you want to start using the nickname as his formal name, then you would need to petition for name change of a minor with the Juvenile Court or the Probate Court and Family Court. You would need the consent of the father in order to change the name of the minor.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law