Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How can I get in trouble for unintentionally shooting

How can I get...

How can I get in trouble for unintentionally shooting someone with a B.B. gun? I was hanging out with friends, who were all taking turns shooting a B.B. gun off a buddy’s porch. When I fired the gun, it hit a board on the handrail and ricocheted, inadvertently hitting one of the friends in the genitals. A week later, he is now filing charges because of it, claiming assault with a deadly weapon. How can this be possible??

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Maybe that of the 6-8 people there, I was the only one sober. All other people were intoxicated, most of them being under the legal age to consume alcohol. If that makes any difference.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Have the police taken any action? Do you know if charges have been filed or a warrant issued?
Are you online with me?
charges have been filed, but no warrant issued yet.

Do you know what the exact charges are? Are you being charged with a felony?

I believe it is assault with a deadly weapon, so a felony.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, a BB gun is considered a "deadly weapon" under texas law.

Deadly Weapon applies to felony offenses and is defined in Texas Penal Code Section 1.07 as:

(A) a firearm or anyhing manifestly designed made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury (i.e. deadly weapon by design); or

(B) anything that in the manner or its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury (i.e. deadly weapon by use”).

Under subsection (B) objects that are generally not considered dangerous by design may become so by the manner in which they are used in the offense. Thomas v. State, 821 S.W.2d 616, 620 (Tex. Crim. App. 1991). The object must be used in a manner capable of causing death or serious bodily injury to fall into the deadly weapon class. McCain v. State, 22 S.W.3d 497, 503 (Tex. Crim. App. 2000). To sustain a deadly weapon finding the evidence must demonstrate: (1) the object meets the definition of a deadly weapon; (2) the deadly weapon was used or exhibited during the transaction on which the felony is based; and (3) other people were put in actual danger.

“Firearm” means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning susbtance or any device readily convertible to that use.

“Serious bodily injury” means bodily injury that creates a substantial risk of death, or that causes death, serious permanent disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any bodily member or organ.

The following have all been found to be a deadly weapon by manner of use: axe handle, baseball bat, BB gun, belt buckle, board, bottle, club, drugs, dustpan, fire, flashlight, floor, foot, gasoline, class decanter, hammer, hand, HIV-positive person, knife, mixture of sedatives, motor vehicle, nailgun, nunchakus, pillow, rope, scissors, screwdriver, seminal fluid, spear, stick, straight razor, underpants, hot water.

So, if you know charges have been filed, you will want to retain defense counsel as soon as possible. This is a serious charge and do not want to defend yourself. You will need a defense attorney.

Your attorney, at the appropriate time, can arrange for a surrender, to avoid an arrest. They will also be able to arrange for bail as quickly as possible to minimize the wait in jail.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Do not make any statements to the police. They are not trying to help you. They are trying to make a case fro the prosecution by getting you to incriminate yourself.

If the police contact you, just refer them to your attorney. Say nothing else.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Thank you very much.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer

Are you still online with me?

Do you think it is possible that making a statement showing that there was no intent of injury will prevent a warrant of arrest?
No, there is nothing you could say that would stop the warrant if they believe they have probable cause. Do not speak to the police.