Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I recently was contacted by a father of a guy I talked to on…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently was...

Hi, I recently was contacted by a father of a guy I talked to on POF. Guy said he was 25 and soon after exchanging numbers he sent me nude pictures, to which I responded with one of my own. A week or so later, I get a call from his father stating he is 15, and in an attempt to placate his wife, states that I need to pay to help deactivate the phone. Also, he calls me from the sons phone#, not the number I got the fathers texts from. Is this a dating site scam?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Colorado, the fathers number is ***** based, and the sons is south carolina based. One at&t the other is verizon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I haven't. I just received the messages and calls this evening. I live in a small town so everything is already closed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I have been reading articles online about the recent POF scams and it appears to be a fairly similar interaction. I just want to be sure.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/9/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

This is a scam... pure and simple.. We see this exact scam a few dozen times a week on the site.. A person is engaging in chat with someone who is supposed to be over 18, then the "minor" fesses up and says they are 16 or 17 or 14... usually after a couple nude photos are exchanged.. Then the "parent" busts in and demands money for breaking the phone, or the tablet or the computer, or for therapy, or for a plane ticket to grandmothers or whatever.

.

These criminals hang around on chat rooms and dating sites, and they lure in their victims by assuring them that they are of age but then engaging them in sexual chat and/or exchanging explicit pictures. Then, at some point later on, the target of the scam gets a phone call from a supposedly angry father/mother/ uncle/grandparent where he learns that the person he was chatting with is a minor. But what that so-called person wants is money or he claims he'll prosecute.

.

A real family member wouldn’t react like this and ask for money if a child has really been sexually exploited.

.

Another red flag is they always want money, sent to them via something like Western Union, Money Pak, Money Gram, Green Dot, etc.. in return for not going to the cops...

.

You need to block all contact with the so-called minor, her so called father, and send no money. If you get a call from someone claiming to be a police officer or a private investigator don't take that call either. None of them is really who and what they say they are. You are dealing with thieves running a scam.

.

These criminals can't really report this without actually producing a live minor and swearing out a complaint with the real police, which means identifying themselves and leaving them open to a blackmail charge. Scammers won't do that.

..

I have been doing this a long time...close to ten years on the site and we see all these scams evolve over time from the inheritance scams, to the overseas “never met in person but in love” romance scams, to the stranded soldier scams, to the sweepstakes and lottery scams, to now the "my daddy caught me talking to you and I am just a minor so need money" scam..

.

And this is most important:

.

As many times as we get a question like yours, we have never heard of a family member who asked for money and who actually pressed charges. After all, the minor would be guilty of a crime as well, if she were real, because she entrapped you while you did nothing wrong in this scenario.

.

So the chances are 100% that there's no real minor here and no real parent.

Further you can google "sextortion blackmail scam" and see just how popular this is.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! I am glad I did research and found articles about plenty of fish scams and reverse checked the numbers before sending the money! Scared the crud out of me as I am a healthcare provider and the guy knew a lot of my information. Suffice to say though, I will be deleting all dating site accounts, reporting the numbers to scam alert sites and will proceed to block the numbers myself. Thank you very much for the verification!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

And you can rest assured this is a common scam... we see this dozens of times a week here on the site..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law