Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son was released on probation from the Ozark Correctional…

My son was released...

My son was released on probation from the Ozark Correctional Center in Fordland Mo. His place of residence and approved home plan is in St Charles Mo. His

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

He immediately reported to district 17, St Charles Mo per his release papers. He was told by his assigned probation officer that he was to report to the adjoining county. He was then told that he must attend the drug court in that county and that he must attend group meetings in that county. This is multiple trips a week of about 28 miles each way and he has no drivers license. He needs to do his probation in the county in which he lives and was assigned. Who would he contact about this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

3/9/2018
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a criminal defense attorney. Hoping I can help with your issue. I think your son has two options. The first would be to address the issue with the attorney who initially represented him to see about whether getting out of drug court is an option. The second would be to talk to the assigned probation agent and get more information about why he is being placed in drug court.

The issue is not drug court it a County removing him from the county he was in and taking him to their County for this we was wondering if it is legal for them to remove him from the county he resides in and putting him in a county where he is not able to drive we feel that they are setting him up to fail he was paroled to St Charles County and they have taken him out of the parole there and put him in another County he resides in st. Charles County inside St Charles County has the same drug court program

That doesn't make a ton of sense to me if they have a drug court in the county that he resides in. I can't imagine why they would do that. Did they provide any explanation for why they moved him to a different county's drug court?

No they have not they even moved his probation officer to that County and we just don't understand how they can do that if they're there to help him succeed in this program he has to get rides to and from and if he misses or is late he goes back to jail so we're at odds trying to figure it out

My experience is in Minnesota. Generally, probation is supervised by the county that the offense occurs in. It is then up to the probationer to request a transfer of probation to his county of residence if they are not the same. I don't know that I have ever seen probation transferred in circumstances like this. It seems unusual to me. Was your son represented by an attorney on the underlying case?

he was represented by an attorney. The offense did occur in Lincoln County. He resides in St Charles County. Upon release from prison he was told to report to District 17 St Charles County and he was given a probation officer there. He was then told by that probation officer to report to Lincoln County. Do they have the right to change his supervision to Lincoln County

I do not know specifically about what is permitted in the state of Missouri. I think your son's best best would be to contact his initial attorney and see what help he can get there. His original attorney should be able to answer whether parole is permitted to do this. But the circumstances don't really make a ton of sense to me so I would pursue this to see about trying to get it switched back to the original county.

If this was helpful please give me a five star rating. Hope everything works out!!

Jonathan Holson