Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was pulled over and taken to jail for theft under $500…

Second opinion] i was...

Second opinion] i was pulled over and taken to jail for theft under $500 that occored at the local walmart 3 days earlier. i was accused of stealing 5 bags of mulch from the parking lot. i had to set in jail overnight until after lunch time on mothers day. so i went to court and when i was called up they asked me if i was going to plea to the charge and i said no,i have my reciept right here and gave it to the da. and he showed it to the walmart rep that was at court that day. well then the walmart rep told the da that they didnt have my file with them so the court reset my court date. so i go to court for a third time, set there all day until 5pm just to be told that no one from walmart showed up against me and the court reset my court date again. then about six months later i go to court the forth time and as the judge is doing roll call when he calls my name and i replied here, he says your case has been dismissed you are free to go. and that day the walmart rep was there. but im out of what it cost to bond out ,3 days of work i missed, legal consultation fees,not to mention my mom spendind half of mothers day at jail bonding me out andmy picture being front page news all for something that i had paid for and had a reciept for.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tn

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Ya case is closed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think they was just picking on me because my girlfriend has been banned from there and that is where her ex was working

3/9/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

I'm glad to hear that your case was finally addressed and dismissed.

Have you considered also filing a lawsuit against Walmart for the false arrest that occurred here?

That would enable you to recover the costs of your bail, court fees, legal consultation fees, missed work and lost wages, and any other expenses related to this case.

You could also sue for defamation based on the fact that false information was published in the paper in regards ***** ***** and may have caused damage to your reputation, future employment opportunities, relationships with those in the community, etc.

To prove defamation you need to be able to prove that:

• the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff
  • the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party
  • the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication
  • the plaintiff suffered damages.

You should consider contacting the Tennessee State Bar to receive a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone numbers for the lawyer referral services vary by location, they are:

East Tennessee:(###) ###-####br />Middle Tennessee:(###) ###-####br />Southeast Tennessee:(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THAT WAS WHAT I WAS ASKING , CAN I SUE , AND WHAT FOR EXACTLLY OR WOULD IT JUST BE A WASTE OF TIME, MONEY, AND EFFORT?

No it wouldn't be, yes you can sue.

You can sue under both grounds that I listed above -- false arrest and defamation.

I hope that helps clarify!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANKS FOR THE INFO :)

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer