Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a summons to appear in district court tomorrow March…

Customer Question
I have a summons...

I have a summons to appear in district court tomorrow March 9th for failure to attend jury duty. I have had a family emergency this evening. (mother hospitalized) I will not be able to attend. Can I call in the a.m. to request a postponement? will I still be served with a warrant for my immediate arrest?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Massachusetts issue date 1/17

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I intended to go and speak to the judge and schedule a time to do jury duty

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/9/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's situation.

Unfortuantely no, this isn't something that can be postponed via phone call in the morning.

A request for a postponement would have needed to be filed, and approved, in advance.

Given that this hearing was due to a failure to appear for jury duty, another failure to appear tomorrow would reflect quite poorly and could result in a bench warrnat being issued against you and even a contempt of court filed against you.

Your best option at this point is to appear in court tomorrow.

You can speak with the clerk in the courtroom when you arrive, and ask that your name be called, so that your matter can be address promptly, and so that you can minimize your wait time in the courtroom tomorrow and get back to help your mother.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!