Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was pulled over and taken to jail for theft under $500…

I was pulled over...

I was pulled over and taken to jail for theft under $500 that occored at the local walmart 3 days earlier. i was accused of stealing 5 bags of mulch from the parking lot. i had to set in jail overnight until after lunch time on mothers day. so i went to court and when i was called up they asked me if i was going to plea to the charge and i said no,i have my reciept right here and gave it to the da. and he showed it to the walmart rep that was at court that day. well then the walmart rep told the da that they didnt have my file with them so the court reset my court date. so i go to court for a third time, set there all day until 5pm just to be told that no one from walmart showed up against me and the court reset my court date again. then about six months later i go to court the forth time and as the judge is doing roll call when he calls my name and i replied here, he says your case has been dismissed you are free to go. and that day the walmart rep was there. but im out of what it cost to bond out ,3 days of work i missed, legal consultation fees,not to mention my mom spendind half of mothers day at jail bonding me out andmy picture being front page news all for something that i had paid for and had a reciept for.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tn

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Ya case is closed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think they was just picking on me because my girlfriend has been banned from there and that is where her ex was working

3/8/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can i sue walmart

Thanks...a few mins please...I have some thoughts and will type them up.

Thank you for your patience.

You can sue...what you are describing sounds like you were defamed.

Defamation of character is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

If someone lied about you and that lie harmed your reputation? You can sue the person who lied for defamation.

So in your case, if your reputation was harmed (and the fact they labeled you a thief with no proof) would constitute defamation.

You can sue them for the harm to your reputation.

As well, you can sue them for "false arrest"...if you can demonstrate that you were innocent, and they caused you, improperly, to be arrested, you can sue to recover for that as well

You will want to hire a local attorney to assist you with this process.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would i have to sue walmart or the loss prevention person that went to the jail and took out the warrant on me?

You sue Walmart. The loss prevention person was their employee...they (Walmart) are liable for the actions of their employee

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i wasnt sure because the person who took the warrant out just so happens to be who my girlfriends ex was with at the time this occored
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more thing what all
grounds may i sue for

What you are describing, you have a lawsuit for defamation (since they lied about you being a thief) and a lawsuit for false arrest/imprisonment

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
excellent :)

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Lawyer