Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a person convicted of a felony legally carry a firearm…

Can a person convicted...

Can a person convicted of a felony legally carry a firearm if their carry permit is still valid

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Indiana. The charge was evasion while driving a boat on a local lake. He was unaware there was an attempted stop plead guilty as attorney fees were killing. Plead should have known there was an attempt to stop

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He was convicted what do you mean by filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Thank You

Unfortunately, no. Anyone convicted of a felony charge loses his state and Federal gun rights at that point. You don't get to use up the time left until your carry permit expires. The carry permit won't save you if you are caught with a firearm. You will be charged as a felon in possession of a firearm and face prison time.

Thanks by

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD