Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If a warrant was issued how after that issuance can charges…

Customer Question
if a warrant was issued...
if a warrant was issued how long after that issuance can charges be brought against a person that was at that location
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/8/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Has the warrant ever been executed or is it still outstanding with the person named in the warrant legally being a fugitive?

.

What was the original charge that was issued against the person?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no when the warrant was issued they had already let this person leave the property and the one that was there was charged with man cs 1 to 4 grms and now after going to court we are being told that the one who police let leave is a co defendant but wasn't charged until 9 days later for same offense but for 200 to 400 grm

Ok, if someone is charged with a criminal offense, and doesn't then go to court to address the charges, then a fugitive warrant will be issued for their arrest.

.

There are no statutes of limitations on a warrant and they never expire. They just sit there waiting for the person to come into contact with law enforcement who will then arrest them, take them to jail, and then transport them to the court that issued the fugitive warrant to face both the fugitive charge as well as the underlying drug charge...

.

So if a warrant was issued, charges have already been filed... and there is no limit on prosecuting the filed charges...only in initially filing charges.. Once charges have been filed, they can sit there for years and years until the person is finally caught by police and then they have to deal with the warrant and charges..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she was never named on the original warrant and was not a fugitive
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
was not living at the residence at which the warrant was made for

The only way you get a warrant issued is if you are charged with something and then don't show up for court or the DA asks a judge to immediately issue an arrest warrant rather than a summons..

.

So apparently the DA decided later on to file a formal criminal charge and ask the judge to issue a warrant...

.

So now that a charge has been filed... it never "expires" until it is actually dealt with in court..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no they came to investigate and then applied for the warrant after she was allowed to leave the property and thae warrant was made out to the people who actually lived at the property and they were arrested then . Nine days later we heard this other one was arrested now 2 years after when ,court comes up /they are claiming she is a codefendant

I am not really here to argue with you about this because I haven't seen the case...

.

But I can tell you without a doubt that if a warrant was issued, the person has been charged with a criminal offense... and there is no time limit to prosecute once a charge has been filed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok let me reword it does a warrant have to specify for who it is made out to

Yes, you can't have a general warrant that doesn't name the specific target of the warrant. For example, a search warrant has to name a specific property by address and describe it. An arrest warrant has to name the actual person who the judge is ordering to be arrested..

But if the police got a search warrant, came out, charged a few people there immediately, and then had an arrest warrant issued later for someone who didn't happen to be there at the time the search warrant was issued, that is legal to do..

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law