Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I am in Florida and file an injunction against stalking…

If I am in...

If I am in Florida and file an injunction against stalking on someone in another state, how does that prevent the person from stalking?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because criminal law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The person to file against is in Colorado. I am in Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thanx

3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Thank you

The injunction protects you in case that individual tries to contact you or physically come near you, the injunction makes that contact a criminal activity for which that person can be arrested.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

If it is filed in Florida, how does that keep someone in Colorado from contacting me? Colorado won't arrest for Florida, right?

That's right. It's more so for the case of physically coming near you or your place of work or residence in Florida.

Of if this person comes back to Florida and is making any threats or harassing calls, etc.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

thank you

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones