Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I hit a car in a restaurant last night and left the scene. I…

I hit a car in...
I hit a car in a restaurant last night and left the scene. I drove home and called the restaurant and got a hold of the owner of the car. He said he filed a police report, and why did I leave? I told him that I panicked and left. I'm going to the police station and turn myself in. Are they going to through me directly into jail? Sincerely Jeff
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Leaving the scene of an accident is a misdemeanor offense, so unfortunately yes, it is a possibility that you'll be arrested when you go into the police station.

It would be adivisable for you to first retain a criminal defense lawyer before you go into the station.

Your lawyer may be able to negotiate something with the police officers such as a promise to appear in court, as opposed to being arrested and taken into custody.

A lawyer would also be able to make sure that your rights are not violated, and that you don't answer any self-incriminating questions.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones