Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just had a concern. I understand it may be irrational, and…

Hello sir! I just had...
Hello sir! I just had a concern. I understand it may be irrational, and probably fueled by the current climate of how easy It is to file sexual misconduct claims, or at least that’s the way the media portrays it now. About 6-7 years ago when I was 17-18 years old, I was flirting with a girl that went to my high school. We flirted a little bit, but she took it to a sexual kind of flirting. I explained i wasn’t comfortable talking like that given that she was 15-16 at the time. We never had any physical contact. Do I need to worry about any accusations especially 6 years later?
3/8/2018
Michael Bradley

in my opinion no for a couple of reasons

your age for 1 since it looks like you were a juvenile

2nd the length of time that has elapsed especially if it was simple flirting

3rd the fact that she is the one who "escalated" the flirting to a sexual nature

you did the smart thing and stopped it

I see no worry at all on your part even a little bit

Thank you sir, I do have one more concern. I understand it may just be paranoia fed by the current climate. But I was in a romantic casual relationship with this girl recently, both of legal age. We would sext sometimes and send pictures like young and dumb people do. Sometimes I would initiate it, sometimes she would. If I asked for a sexual photo or flirted with her to intimate and she said not now, no, or anything of the like I stopped and didn’t further it as no means no. I have the messenges proving it was in fact consensual and we mutually would flirt and had a mutual relationship. If for some reason she decided to file a grievance out of anger or just to be spiteful (its rare but I’m aware some people with little honor do it) should I be concerned given the fact I have proof it was consensual and we were seeing eachother?

the key is both of legal age

sexting is not illegal nor sending pictures

I would suggest caution as these pictures can find their way out onto the internet

no means no is the key

I would not be concerned about this although I would keep the transmissions to make sure if something comes up you can show it was consensual

you have a good point to be wary especially since the #metoo generation is here

but in honesty I see nothing wrong with what you did

Michael Bradley
Thank you sir, I was just a little concerned that asking would be a detriment, even though last I checked asking a partner for something sexual isn’t illegal as long as one listens and respects the decision especially if the decision is “no”