Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

One second please. Nebraska Someone has dmd me very late at…

One second please Lawyer's...

One second please

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nebraska Someone has dmd me very late at night at 1 AM saying they are a private investigator from the UK. He accused me of saying he had screenshots and logs of me asking underage kids for explicit pictures. I can not stress enough ... this is not true... and probably the result of my social meedia following so that internet trolls can mess with me. He said that he has contacted my local PD and that he was succesfully able to get a subpoena for my computer. He said that happened in 30 minutes. Is that possible.. or is he lying? Keep in mind it is 2 AM here i believe the court house is closed. He dmd me first at around 11 PM

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He said the subpoena was accepted in the UK... and that nothing has happened here yet He reufses to tell me anything. Stuff like this has happened to me but never to this extent. Im inclined to believe him and get stressed about this whole thing - but i know people who report "social media people" for fun. Can I send you a transcript of our personal messages to alrify ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope that will be it

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
The follow attatchment is a convo of what we had on Twitter. Is he who he says he is?
3/8/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Someone is just messing with you. First of all, a UK private investigator wouldn't have a Nebraska phone number. It is possible to get a warrant over the phone fairly quickly these days, because there's usually a judge available by phone. But a warrant can only be issued based on a sworn affidavit from a police officer - not a private investigator. On top of that, if they really had a search warrant, the last thing they'd do is tip you off in advance. A person who knows a search is coming is likely to hide or destroy evidence. You don't call in advance to give them time to do that.

Statements like this come across as the way a person who watched a lot of cop shows might think an investigator talks, but it doesn't ring true. " We are already have been in contact with both our legal and criminal departments. We've already reached to authorities in your general location." Why would a private investigator even have a legal department? Or a criminal department? That makes no sense. He probably means civil and criminal lawyers - but he didn't say that. And a real investigator would be using the correct language.

If I were you, I would simply block this person and put the whole thing out of your mind. It's not legitimate.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer