Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had a question about a ticket I just received for that is…

Hi! so I had...

Hi! so I had a question about a ticket I just received for that is being considered a misdemeanor

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, so basically I threw a water balloon at a car coming to a stop and got caught by the person driving the car who then called the cops and the cops came and gave me the ticket

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, that the cop did not check the box that says "violations not committed in my presence, declared on information and belief" this is not true because the cop was not there and he had to take witness reports to get the story

3/8/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Did you intend to say that the police officer did NOT check the box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh sorry, yes he did NOT check the box

Thank you. If the officer didn't see anything for himself, he should have checked the box. That said, a mistake like this is always useful if the case goes on to trial. The officer won't be able to testify that he was there at the time of the incident, because both the defendant and the witness will refute it. He'll have to concede that he made a mistake on the citation. That would give the defense the opportunity to try to undermine the officer's credibity, since his own notes at the scene are unreliable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome. Thank you for the help!

You're very welcome.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD