Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was arrested 1/18/2018 for aggravated assault w/a deadly…

I was arrested 1/18/2018 for...
I was arrested 1/18/2018 for aggravated assault w/a deadly weapon after some kids were in our garage the night of 12/18/2017 and my wife pulled a gun on them. I chased them and they went home & lied to their parents who called the police. The detective refused to talk to me & my wife about the issue with our lawyer and instead called my attorney ex-wife who I am involved in a custody battle in the same county. She told him (falsely) that I was going to leave Texas so several US marshalls arrested me and I had a $100k bond. My attorney and I had prepared a grand jury packet but I learned today that I was already indicted. Aren't I entitled to notice? I feel this case has gotten railroaded by some unseen hands and I'm trying to make sense of how this happened. Please explain how I got indicted w/out anyone even asking me and my wife our side. I understand probable cause is a low standard but I am a professional and I cannot work until this is cleared. Please help
3/8/2018
LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you - What were the kids doing in the garage? Was anything taken? Were you able to talk to the detective during the investigation at all?

The detective told my attorney he had enough for a warrant and he was going to go get one. We were setting up a meeting time & date prior to him saying that. My attorney did not want us to talk to him at first but since I am a doctor I wanted to avoid an arrest. My attorney then told me that I was going to do the "walk though" arrest and probably be released on my own recognizance. However, I was arrested at gunpoint by several US marshals and given a 100k bond. I have no idea why the kids were in there. Yes my sunglasses and my old wallet were missing out of my vehicle but I didn't know that until a few days later.
Are you familiar with texas law?

Yes I am familiar - The answer to your question is the prosecutor has every right to indict your case without notifying you or your attorney. Also, you are not allowed to present evidence at a grand jury proceeding. It is very odd that you were arrested when it seems like you were the victim of a burglary and you had every right to defend yourself and your property. It sounds like your attorney will be able to file multiple motions, the first of which would be a motion to dismiss based on falsified grand jury testimony.

I wish I had better news for you, but it does sound like you will have multiple defenses to this charge - I wish you all the best and hope I answered your question - can you please rate me with 5 stars

The live phone call function won't go through

I'm sorry, can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

LegalDan
LegalDan, Criminal Defense Lawyer