Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My roommates and I were given an MIP and possession of drug…

My roommates and I were...
My roommates and I were given an MIP and possession of drug paraphernalia in College Station, Texas and Im trying to find out what is the best way to go about getting them off.
3/7/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post and will be working on your reply now. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

The best way to keep these off of your record would be to get a diversion or a deferral disposition if the prosecutor agrees to it. Typically, if this is your first arrest, you'd be eligible for a disposition like that. These are forms of community supervision where you pay fines, do community service and take anti-drug/alcohol classes while staying out of further trouble with the law during your probation period. Finish everything successfully and your case would be dismissed. After the dismissal, you'd be eligible to expunge or seal the arrest.

Over the short haul, this disposition would involve some inconvenience. There are easier ways to go. But as Texas doesn't expunge convictions, over the long haul, having this off your record is worth the time and trouble.

Zoey_ JD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I had a buddy that went through this same thing and thats what he said he did. I was just making sure it was the right route. Thanks for a quick and thourough response.

You're very welcome!

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD