Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My sister boyfriend told the POLICE that threatening to kill…

My sister boyfriend told...

My sister boyfriend told the POLICE that threatening to kill him which is not true

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

THIS morning

3/7/2018
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

It sounds like your sister's boyfriend has accused YOU of threatening to kill him?

If so, the police are going to look for something that will corroborate his claim. A witness, a recording, perhaps prior threats, or evidence of bad blood between the two of you, i.e., something that would give you a motive to make a threat, or perhaps you've spoken about doing him harm to other people. It's difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt a statement made by one of two individuals who don't like each other in the first place. Both have motives to be untruthful.

Do you know exactly where and when this threat was supposed to have taken place, and did he allege you made it in person or by phone or text or some similar electronic method? If it isn't true then there is no text message or voice mail or email. Also, did he say that he was threatened directly or that you made this threat via one or more third parties? If so, where are they?

In any event, it is doubtful that they would take any action if it was just your word against his. And you might consider making a complaint yourself, that he made a false police report. That kind of thing could harm your reputation, interfere with job prospects, etc.

Let me know if there is anything specific that you are seeking here. If this has answered your question, then please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
Ok thanks