Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm wondering if there is a possible scenario where a person…

Customer Question
I'm wondering if there...

I'm wondering if there is a possible scenario where a person is arrested for absconding probation, given a bail, posts a bail, and then receives a new absconding charge 2 days after posting bail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Arkansas. Original absconding charge approx April 2014. The new absconding date on the website is Feb 2 2018. I posted bail 1/31/18

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have spoken to a couple.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 4 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Once they turned themselves in and posted bail, were they required to go immediately to probation upon release?

In short, no. It's nowhere in ANY form or document that I was given, never was it verbally mandated, a probation officer never visited or gave any message or direction, nor did anyone from the ADCC in general.

Thank you. Yes, I think it is odd. If a warrant was issued for their arrest, as a result of them absconding, they would need to be served with it and answer and go before the court, to address the violation. Unless it could be shown that they were required to report upon release, I do not see how they could face another charge and this would need to be looked into to see if it was a clerical error. If they were charged, it could be dismissed, once it is shown that they were already violated once and this is related and stems from the same event.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

in summary: Collect and store all paperwork given during the arrest and release process, scrutinize all literature for reporting requirements, and if need be contact retained attorney and begin process of turning in and move for dismissal

You are welcome. Correct and also see if you can find anything in the court file about the second violation, to see what it is a result of. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.