Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a question about a solicitation and about false

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about a solicitation and about false impression

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I had a warend there from six years ago for prostitution I got pulled over because they were basically looking for somebody else so I lied and use my sisters information for days later they got a hold of me again and took me to jail for my warrant from six years ago and then when I was in jail the officer that pulled me over four days before this came to the jail and charge me with the false impersonation And they also informed me that they were charging me with a new charge of solicitation because they were text messages that they had that they were sending to me And they also informed me that they were charging me with a new charge of solicitation because they were text messages that they had that they were sending to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just explained it all in that message

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question about this situation?

Can they give me false impression Charges if when they pulled me over and I use my sisters name they let me go I didn’t get a ticket or nothing then four or five days later when I went to jail for my warrant from six years ago Then they gave me that charge and said it was because they knew that I lied and it was me that they pulled over when they have had two of give me the charge when they pulled me over there’s not even a ticket on file for that I didn’t get a ticket when they pulled me over or anything I did use my sisters name instead of mine but when there have to be a ticket filed or something or can they do that
Also for the solicitationCan they give me that charge because they said that they were text messaging me off of an ad that I had posted with my pictures online but how did they know that they were text messaging me anybody could’ve put that ad up in anybody could’ve been texting them back
I’m on my way to my first court appearance now it’s at 9 AM today I still need to hire an attorney but I’m going to have to save more money so I just wanted to know what your opinion was

Please give me a few minutes to type a reply.

Ok

In order to charge you with a crime, the state only needs probable cause. Probable cause is just a reasonable belief that you MAY HAVE committed a crime. It doesn't take much evidence to charge someone with a crime, although to convict you they must prove their case against you beyond a reasonable doubt, which is much, much harder.

So, yes. They can charge you with an impersonation charge if you use someone else's name and provided false information to the police, even if they didn't discover the until for 4 or 5 days later. The state can add new charges when they get new evidence, so long as they add them before the statute of limitations runs out on the case. The statute of limitations is a law that says how old an incident can get before it's too old to be filed with the court.

As to the solicitation, yes, they can charge you because it's reasonable to think that you texted the messages and posted your pictures. But again, to convict you, the state needs to prove that you did text and post the photos beyond a reasonable doubt. So if a trial jury believes that someone else might have done this to set you up instead of you, then you could not be convicted of the crime.

Well I just looked online and the charges were changed and now they have it down as engaging in prostitution can they change the charges like that because before they told me it was just because they text me unless they just drop the solicitation and that’s my warrent from six years ago So can they set an appointment maybe like an undercover and actually do the appointment and not bust you or is that even legal I don’t know if that’s what happened but I’m just curious

In Oklahoma, solicitating, engaging, and/or procuring a prostitute are all part of the same statute. They all involve an agreement to exchange money for sexual services.

If you don't have the money for a private lawyer plead not guilt when you go to court this morning and ask if the court will appoint you a public defender. You can always replace him later if you are able to afford a private lawyer and the case is still ongoing.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.