Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can somebody be extradited from nm to tx for a class a

Customer Question
Can somebody be extradited...

Can somebody be extradited from nm to tx for a class a missdemenor

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

In texas its 22.01( a)( 1) domestic abuse

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

While states can extradite for misdemeanor mattersm=, extradition is a very expensive procedure. Traditionally, it is reserved for felony matters. I have never known of a state to be willing to pay a team of officers to come pick up a misdemeanant in another state.

If you stay out of Texas, you are not likely to be arrested and held for Texas in another state. In my experience, you'll just be told that there's a warrant and that you should go take care of it.

are police able to impound a car for no insurance and registration

Absolutely, unfortunately. A vehicle that is unregistered and uninsured cannot be on the road. They can impound it and you'll have to find some way to register and insure the vehicle before you'll be able to get it out of impound. If these are the misdemeanors for which you have warrants, nobody is going to extradite you for this. But you're going to have a heck of your time trying to get your car back.

the misdemenor is for domestic abuse

They wouldn't extradite for a misdemeanor domestic matter either. They would for a felony.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.