Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How do I know when to use a public defender or a private…

Customer Question
How do I know when...
How do I know when to use a public defender or a private lawyer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. You can't use a public defender unless the court determines that you are indigent. If you are indigent, then you cannot afford a private lawyer. If you are unsure if you are considered indigent under State law, you can ask the court to appoint an attorney for you, and they will make the monetary determination.

I would say that if someone can afford an attorney, they should always hire their own private attorney. Public defenders are good attorneys but they have very large case loads which make it hard sometimes for them to give enough attention to all of their cases.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 7th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer