Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Im very nervous because I have an appointment to show up to…

Customer Question
Im very nervous because...

Im very nervous because I have an appointment to show up to court tomorrow concerning two warrents that are 20 years old! should I be as worried as I am?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

This is in california

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I have no money. I went to the DA office in the courthouse, and they said they dont help unless theyre appointed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does this service cost money

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

It is possible that when you return to court that the judge will set bail on you and put you in to make sure you don't run away for another 20 years. However, it's also possible that after 20 years the prosecutor won't be able to go forward with the cases any more. Witnesses move, retire, die, become otherwise unavailable. So if you're in at all, it may only be for a couple of days while the DA gets the old files out of archives and finds your cases.

Once you're before the judge, you could ask for a free lawyer. You could also go to the public defender's office and try to get some help from them. Yes, they must be appointed by the judge, but sometimes in an emergency situation, they will give a hand to someone who will become a public defense client anyway. See if you can convince them to let a lawyer go with you to court for the return on a warrant so that you can have someone make an argument to keep you out of jail.

What are the two cases?

One for peer theft of a shampoo bottle and another for a false police report I think?
petty* not peer

Thanks for the reply.

These are not very serious cases, and I think that they can probably be very quickly disposed of once the prosecutor has his or her paperwork and can see her files. I doubt strongly that he's going to be interested in trying these 20 year old cases and I think you'd likely get a favorable plea offer, maybe even time served if the judge puts you in until he can get the files.

If the DA has his files tomorrow, plead not guilty on the cases and ask for a public defender or see if the DA will let you do community service to resolve the cases.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.