Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Here’s my question for a criminal attorney: I am staying as…

Customer Question
Here’s my question for a...
Here’s my question for a criminal attorney:
I am staying as a guest in a three bedroom apartment with my Aunt while I am engaged in a divorce here in Pinellas County, FL. I actually moved in here May 14,2015. The divorce involves children and has had a lot of complications. The management of the 250+ person complex have approached just last week my Aunt and inquired about my staying there. My Aunt fears a rent increase if she verified that I am a full time resident. I receive my mail at a box which is outside the office and loaded by the mailman. What triggered the concern is the following: I ordered and received some packages from Amazon recently and the packages were directed to me instead of my aunt. She was asked about me but told them I am on the road a lot which is true. They gave her a document to fill out with the usual rental unit questions: criminal background, credit. Due to the divorce my credit score is terrible. My understanding is they only take a 700+ score. They haven’t pressed the matter but am I required by Florida Law to respond? Do I have squatters rights after almost 3 years here?
Ricci
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/7/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

They haven’t pressed the matter but am I required by Florida Law to respond?

.

You don't have to respond, but if you didn't and there is an occupancy restriction in Aunt's lease, they could cite her for violating the lease and then move to evict her and everyone else living there. If she isn't under a fixed term written lease, then under FL law, the landlord could terminate it at any time with a 15 day notice and then evict through the courts..

.

Do I have squatters rights after almost 3 years here?

.

No, you are an occupant, not a squatter, and are technically a subtenant of your aunt who is the primary tenant and your legal landlord. But you have the same rights as any tenant and your aunt is your landlord and would have to terminate your tenancy with a 15 day written notice and then evict through the courts to force you to vacate if you refused.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much