Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was a witness in a federal criminal case regarding to an…

I was a witness in...
I was a witness in a federal criminal case regarding to an affinity fraud. One ring leader/defendant was arrested and found guilty after one year.Right after the trial, there were threats that came from the co conspirators. Some of the co-conspirators took the witness stand against the their own ring leader.Right after the trial verdict GUILTY, through teleconference call and youtube, these co conspirators had harassed, tampered my court statements, stalked, threatened myself and few other witness for a whole year now. As a result, few other individuals that was harassed and threaten by the co-conspirators has actually died.I had contacted the investigators who handled this case, but these co-conspirators have not stop and nothing had been done to them. After more self analyzed, I am fear for my life now more than last year.Should I get back to the investigators or just seek advice from a local attorney?
3/7/2018
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

You don't need an attorney. You need the police. You are a crime victim. If someone is engaging in conduct that constitutes a crime, and you are the victim or target of that conduct, you must report it to your local police agency. If they do not satisfy you then report it to the county sheriff. If that doesn't work, report it to the Dept. of Public Safety. The State Bureau of Investigation usually just assists local agencies, but in your case, it sounds like you are being targeted because you were a witness in a criminal case. That is a special kind of crime involving access to courts and the SBI may be interested. NC Code 14-226, intimidating a witness, is a Class G felony.

You said "as a result, few other individuals...has actually died." Had they reported anything? You really need to include the facts about those deceased witnesses when you make your reports.

Also, you mentioned "a few other witnesses." If possible, when you report this conduct, have other victims with you. Have whatever proof may be in your possession; phone messages, text messages, email, etc. Anything at all that will corroborate your complaint. Make sure have dates, times, and locations. And be specific when describing the conduct. Be prepared to provide identifying information as to the person(s) making the threats: male or female, young or old, accent or not, any background noises audible in calls, etc.

If more than one person has participated in a continuing course of this conduct, it's a conspiracy. Another serious charge. I cannot impress upon you enough the importance of reporting this activity to the police.

There is an excellent summary of NC stalking/harassment laws on the FindLaw website; here's the link: http://statelaws.findlaw.com/north-carolina-law/north-carolina-stalking-laws.html

I hope this has helped. If so please don't forget to rate this answer. You can always return here with follow questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
Thank you. Your advice is very helpful.