Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

There. I was just googling my issue with New York State

Hello, there. I was...

Hello, there. I was just googling my issue with New York State Unemployment. I cerfified bennies from out of the county and they want a copy of my passport and travel itinerary. I just checked a related chat transcript and it looks like I'll send that along and just come clean and hope for the best.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nah We're talking about Unemployment so a lawyer's fee isn't really in the kitty!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what kind of service you are and if/how much you do charge?

Ok, here I am awaiting my NY State Unemployment question response...
3/6/2018
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your post, can you tell me what your legal question is?

Hello, Marsha: How are you today? Thanks for your time.I'm not really sure what my specific question is, I just kinda ended up on your site and someone else had asked a similar question. I guess I'd like to know if they will cancel my claim? I don't want to be on the hook for having committed some kind of fraud. (I just had a heck of a time spelling "committed")

Hello again,

I'm good, thank you. At the very least they will deny your claim for the time you were out of the Country. Sometimes the State will stop your claim completely and send you a notice of repayment based on fraud. However, if you tell them that you were honestly confused about when you could file your claim they may not stop your claims payments. Certainly, if you have evidence that you were still actively seeking employment and had the financial ability to come back to the states at the drop of a hat for a job interview or to start a new job, that would go a long way in helping to avoid them looking at the possibility of fraud.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I may be temporarily away from my computer but will respond as soon as I can. If no further assistance is needed, then if you could reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Thanks so much for your response, Marsha! You may consider me assisted in full. Enjoy the rest of your day.
- Ben

You're very welcome Ben.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer