Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted of a felony crime in Feb. 2010 and was

I was convicted of...

I was convicted of a felony crime in Feb. 2010 and was released from prison in June 2015. I had a background check done and it states that I have a felony conviction in June 2015. I have not been in any trouble since I came home from prison. I thought that most background checks show last conviction not release date

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Florida. There were a total of four charges that I was sentence for to all run together. They were all felonies. Do companies go by your release date when doing background checks or by the date of conviction

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I called the company that did the background and they said that I have a felony conviction in June 2015 but that was my release date from prison. They said that they are mailing be the paperwork. But this is preventing me from going back to work until I can get this taken care of. So I am just trying to figure out if back ground checks go by conviction date or release dates in the state of Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I am just needing some clarification

3/6/2018
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Generally it depends on the type of background check. Some will simply show the offenses you were convicted along with the date of conviction. I more detailed background check might include sentencing information about how much time you served, when you were released from prison etc. You may have to wait until you get the information from the background check company to know more specifics about what showed up on this particular background check.

Hope this answers your question. If so, please give me five stars, otherwise feel free to follow up.

Jonathan Holson