Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a questions on how to complete expungement paperwork…

I have a questions...

I have a questions on how to complete expungement paperwork in NJ. THe form asked for the town that I was arrested in. I was processed at the courthouse after my hearing when I plead guilty. Do I put the courthouse location or the town where the offense took place?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

NJ, offense was in 2016. I completed Pretrial Intervention requirements and it was dismissed on 8/6. I know there is a 6 month waiting period for expungement which has passed so I am trying to do this myself

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have not filed any paperwork for expungement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The offense was 3rd degree Theft by Unlawful taking, I was admitted into the PTI program which was completed successully and the charges were dismissed (if that's the right terminology) on 8/6/17. I am now eligible for expungement since the 6months has passed. I think that everything

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

They want to know where the offense happened -where you were either arrested and booked, or if you were actually formally booked, given a citation to appear for your court date (the citation in that instance would act as your "arrest").

the offense was in MIddletown, NJ but I was processed in Freehold, NJ. I should list MIddletown, NJ as the place of arrest?

I would list Middletown, NJ, yes.

Great, thank you.

My pleasure. Good look with the expungement. Given that you successfully completed PTI, it should be straightforward, and the prosecutor's office should have no reason to object.

Please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page so that I may be credited by the website. Thank you so much!

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Another question, for arrest date do I list the date I was processed aT the courthouse?