Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If you are a registered SO in, what do you need to do to…

If you are a registered...

If you are a registered SO in Virginia, what do you need to do to visit Kentucky, Indiana, or north Carolina for a few days?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2018
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Each state has their own fairly comprehensive set of rules about registration. Here's Kentucky:

IF you were convicted of a sex offense against a minor, or have been adjudged a sexually violent predator, you are required to register in KY within five (5) working days of "relocation." This is somewhat deceptive because it sounds like you're moving; but in KY, they refer to your county of "residence." And residence is defined simply as where you sleep. Really. Here's KRS 17.500(7): "Residence" means any place where a person sleeps. For the purposes of this statute, a registrant may have more than one (1) residence. A registrant is required to register each residence address";You can have multiple residences. If your conviction does not fall within either of those categories, you still have to register within five (5) working days in each county of "residence."

Indiana: You have to register if you intend to spend at least seven (7) days in the state in any 180 day period;

North Carolina: Not as specific as KY when defining "residence." In NC, a residence is established "when certain activities of life occur at the particular location." "Carrying out the necessities of daily living" at the same location for a period of time could establish a residence. And if you have a residence in NC, then you are required to register within three (3) business days of establishing "residence" in the state, or, whenever you have been present in the state for fifteen (15) days, whichever comes first.

Hope that answered your question. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. You may always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge and, as always, thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio