Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted of criminal abuse in 1992. The was reduced…

I was convicted of...

I was convicted of criminal sexual abuse in 1992. The was reduced to a misdemeanor. I'm trying to get a FOID card but have been denied. I would like to get my gun rights restored.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Illnois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. All filled and reported in 1992.

2/22/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You never lost your gun rights pursuant to federal law since you do not have a felony conviction. The issue is that the states and local authorities have discretion in issuing a FOID, which does not mean your gun rights have been lost because of your conviction, it means they claim that because of your history they do not believe you qualified for the permit.

So, in order to get your FOID if denied, you need to follow the appeals process by filing a suit in court asking for a declaration of rehabilitation and present evidence to court as to why you are no danger and should be granted the FOID and the court can order the agency to issue you the FOID.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

That's great news. Thanks for the timely reply. Great advice.

Thank you for your reply.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer