Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a automotive repair business and I have to fill paper…

I am a automotive repair...
I am a automotive repair business and I have to fill paper work on abandoned cars well I got my paper work and they sent me a lt-262b form and I do not know what I am suppose to do no one around here can tell me what I need to do next
1/22/2018
Layne Pecoff

I am an attorney expert and a former District Attorney, and I will be helping you. Nice to meet you.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not create an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will be answering your question with the expectation that if you are satisfied with my answer, you will give a positive rating.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys do not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If that works for you, let me know and we can proceed : )

I want to make sure I understand what you are asking:

1-What do you do with form lt-262b in North Carolina for abandoned vehicles?

Let me know which parts I got right and fill me in on the other parts and we'll go from there. Thanks!

I usually get lt-264a and go to the clerks office and do a petition for authorization to sell motor vehicle under a lien but this is different and the lady's at the court house can not tell me what I have to do

Great. Thank you for explaining. I am searching on line and I cannot see access to lt-264a, only lt-262. Are the 2 forms very different? Do you need help filling out the lt-262? I am not sure what you are asking.

You fill out the form and then file it with the clerk and then if you are awarded your petition, you may sell the vehicle to satisfy your mechanic's lien and storage.

no I can search online myself the lt 262 I know how to fill out the dmv sent me a lt-262b it says( If I wish to sell this vehicle to satisfy your lien it well be necessary for you to have a judicial hearing before a court of competent jurisdiction to determine the validity of your lien. Upon conclusion of the judicial hearing, forward the order or judgement to this section for processing in compliance with general statute 20-111 (c).) that is what the last of the letter says

Ok, so you will need to fill out the form, file it with the clerk and HAVE A COURT HEARING to determine if your lien is valid. I am so sorry, I just cannot figure out what your questions is. If you prefer, I can opt out so another attorney can help you. Just let me know if you would prefer OR if you could let me know what your question is, then I can answer it : )

I need to know what I need to do at the court house after getting this letter LT-262B from the dmv

You fill out the form. You go to the clerk (sounds like you have already done that before so you should be familiar). Then they will assign a Judge and a court date for the hearing. You will attend the hearing and present evidence on the vehicles. You will either win (and be granted the right to sell the vehicle(s) to satisfy the lien) or you will lose. (hopefully you will WIN!)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can.

Do you understand that there will be a court hearing on this (like a mini-trial) before a Judge who will make the decision as to whether you may sell the vehicle(s) to satisfy the lien? Is that the confusing part?

well part of the problem is the clerks office will not tell what forms I need to fill out up there so I need to know what form numbers I need to get from them

The first thing you have to file is a LT-260 - REPORT OF UNCLAIMED MOTOR VEHICLES

I can send you a screenshot of this form if you would like. Let me know.

I kind of thought that but like I said the clerks office will not tell you nothing of what you need to do and this is new territory for me I have done the other stuff many times over the years put never have I got this form from the dmv

Can you try filing this claim the same way you filed the others? How did you get the forms the other times?

I have already done all of that

Okay. I am not 100% familiar with this small intricacy of North Carolina law - perhaps if you filed a certain number of claims before, now this one requires you to go to court so a Judge can decide (perhaps you got over a certain dollar amount so now you need a Judge to grant you the award). Does that make sense?

1 you do lt-260 then they send a letter back and then you fill a lt-262 and then they sent me the lt-262b back

Great! So fill out the letter that they sent you, take it to the court. You will be assigned a Judge and a hearing date. Go to the court date, be polite but speak your truth. Bring any evidence you have with you (a receipt showing the date they dropped off the vehicle, any invoices for parts you installed in these vehicles, etc).

I believe in your ability to get this handled - you seem very sharp and able to express your thoughts clearly to me!!

Go GET em!

If I have answered your question and you are satisfied, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

It does not cost you anything to click and it is the only way I can get credit for my work, and of course a positive 5 star rating would be appreciated.

You can still ask me all your follow up questions, even after you please leave a positive rating at the top of your screen.

I wish you all the best in 2018.

If you want to send me an image of the 262-B I am happy to look at it.

Do you have any other questions?

no I need to know what forms to fill out at the court house they will not tell me what forms I need I am suppose to know they said

Why can't you fill out the forms you have ALWAYS filled out in the past?

I guess I am not understanding why this time is different from all of the other times! Snce you are familiar with this process, just proceed as you have in the past.

Tell the clerk that but the other form that I get says I can go to the clerk and take care of it this one says I have to go in front of the judge so do I do it in small claims court what form would I need That is what I need to know

YES you have to go to small claims court.

Let me see if I can find the form for you online, the trouble is that it is not appearing online. Give me a moment to continue researching for you.

I was trying to send you a copy of the letter but it’s not working for me
I think it come through

here is the form for Small claims court:

http://www.nccourts.org/Forms/Documents/351.pdf

Please rate 5 stars so I can get credit for all the time we have spent together. You can continue to ask follow up questions even after you have rated, thank you.

See the DMV would not even tell me what I needed to do

I SEE YOUR LETTER! Okay, now I understand.

The letter says that the vehicle (perhaps unlike the ones you have filed for in the past) is NOT REGISTERED in the state of NC. Therefore, they cannot help you.

Can you go into the glove box of the vehicle and see if you can find a registration?

You might need to proceed in the state where the vehicle IS registered.

Please go ahead and click 5 stars so we can continue working together - i am happy to help!

Well I have another question for you under plaintiff the vehicle come back not to be registered to anyone in North Carolina the people that owned it died years ago what do I put for plaintiff The person that brought it to me is not the original owners listed I have an old registration And they do not recognize him if they’re not the listed owner

If you can please click 5 stars then I can continue to help you. It does not cost you anything extra to click and it is the only way I will get credit for all the time we are spending here. Thank you.

The registration was a North Carolina registration From 1987

let me know and I will begin preparing the answer to your next question

If you want to rate a positive rating, then I can answer the next question - just let me know if you rate and I will begin preparing your next answer. Thanks!

I might have made a mistake and mean defendant sorry

Yup, I figured.

As soon as I see your 5 star rating come through (it takes a few minutes for it to come through on my end) then I am happy to answer this next question free of charge for you.

Layne Pecoff

Great, thank you.

As far as your next question. You need to put the last person of record as the Defendant. So that would be the person who died - USE THE LAST REGISTRATION and put that person's name please.

(meaning, the 1987 North carolina registration you were mentioning)

Does that make sense?

The problem with the other one was that the vehicle was not registered in NC.

Got it??

Thanks again and I wish you the best of luck sorting this out!

thanks if I need you again I will let you know.

I am so happy to help you. I am wishing you all the best. Hang in there and if you have more questions, you can always ask for me directly by typing ForCustomerat the start of your question.