Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a class A. I have a class a misdemeanor from feb 2011…

I have a class...

I have a class A

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

I have a class a misdemeanor from feb 2011 witheld

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Judgement with supervison

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And I want to know if it will prevent me from getting a job

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Thank you

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a minute to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

The answer is -- it depends on the employer.

For some employers a past incident is not a factor that would cause someone to forego being hired, while for other employers it is an automatic red flag.

Many employers will inquire about the matter, and afford you an opportunity to explain what occurred, and how you've learned from that mistake since then.

State laws vary on expungement requirements, but you should consider applying to have your case sealed or expunged so that it can be removed from your record, and so that it won't show up on a background check.

That would avoid any potential problems with future employers.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you. How does it depend on the employer whether a class a misdemeanor with withheld judgement would show up on a background check, especially if it’s almost 7 years ago?

No, not whether it will show up on a background check (it will), but whether your employer will place alot of weight on it and let it be a decisive factor in the hiring decision.

Okay so it definitely will show up, thank you that’s what I needed to know.

Yes it will. Unless you're able to have it expunged or sealed.

Good luck!

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones