Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Bf is in jail for second degree cruelty to a juvenile he has…

Customer Question
Hey my bf is...

Hey my bf is in jail for second degree cruelty to a juvenile he has never been in trouble or jail im trying to see if he can get a bond reduction

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont think so he hasn't been to court yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much is a lawyer

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/19/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Within 72 hours of being arrested, he will have a court appearance, often called a "call out." At his first appearance, the judge will determine if there is probable cause for the charge and what bond should be.

If he does not have enough money to pay for the bond even with help from a bondsman, he may have an attorney file a Motion for Bond Reduction and ask the judge to lower the bond so that he can raise the money needed to get out of jail. The judge has the right to say "yes" or "no". You pay the attorney for the filing of the motion and his representation in court. No attorney can guarantee that the judge will say yes, however, It is the judge's decision to make. The fact that he has no record will be helpful. Also, his lawyer may argue that he is not a flight risk, that he has ties to the community and that he doesn't represent a danger to anyone.

If I can clarify anything or provide additional information, please reply and let me know. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars as that is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the website for our time and expertise. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer