Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I'm charged with 3counts domestic plus 1count felony

I'm charged with 3counts...

I'm charged with 3counts domestic plus 1count felony domestic with a deadly wepon

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

Yes April 11

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

R.i

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes no one was hurt all of my firearms were taking and

1/18/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question with regard to this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no previous record and have never had a domestic violence charge nor any other charges will I face prison time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plus she said said I had a a knife that I raised to her so the charged me with a felony domestic violence charge and now I have a no contact order plus when this is over will I get back my fire arms

Since this is your first offense and nobody was injured as a result of the argument, you should be able to avoid prison on the felony charge. Probation and anger management classes could be negotiated even on the felony, unless the facts were particularly ugly, which these don't seem to be.

However, if you are convicted even of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, your gun rights will be gone forever. Under the Violence against Women's Act and the Lautenberg Amendment, there would be a lifetime bar against your Federal 2nd Amendment rights unless/until the law changes.

If you are not convicted of a domestic violence charge, then once the order expires you'd have your gun rights.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i angeed to classes would inlose my 2a rights be reinstated since I don't have a previous history of violence and if my wife was to drop the no contact order because she didn't file the charges
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've Never been in trouble before at all and to lose my 2a rights and never be able to hunt would destroy me not to mention my kids are my world plus my wife I would do councling to save my to a rights and my marriage

No matter what your sentence is, if you are convicted of a felony or a misdmeanor of domestic violence, you will lose your gun rights forever. That's FEDERAL law and Pennsylvania has no choice about that, any more than do the other 49 states.

So if that is your primary concern, you need to get yourself a lawyer and let him know that you need to be able to hunt. He may be able to convince the DA to let you plead to a charge that doesn't involve the threat of violence against your spouse. That's the only chance you have of saving your gun rights, short of a dismissal or an acquittal on the charges.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD