Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I keep looking at ur face and I’m beyond embarrassed to even…

I keep looking at...

I keep looking at ur face and I’m beyond embarrassed to even say what happened to me yesterday. I can’t talk to anyone. Yes just want to literally die right now

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

New Mexico. Is this confidential? Plz say yes

Lawyer's Assistant: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Criminal Lawyer's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I haven’t told u yet what happened

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I thought I was talking to u first. I’m so scared right now

1/17/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Can you tell me a little more about your situation or what happened?

Is there a particular legal question I can help with?

Speaking privately over the phone is also an option if you'd like more privacy.

I got caught shoplifting yesterday at kohls. I have never done this and I just want to die right now I can’t sleep can’t eat. Afraid of a record my spouse. The cops were not called but had to sign a paper cuz I got banned from Kohl’s. They took my picture and Drivers license. I couldn’t even understand what they were saying but someone said to wait for a letter and than court. Court?? I know it is such an awful feeling and I’m rightfully dying inside
I can’t talk my child is around. I can’t even function.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Thank u.

It is possible that even though you were not arrested at the time of the incident, that Kohls may still report the crime to the police and an arrest warrant will be issued for shoplifting, or a criminal case direct filed in which case you would receive notice of a court date in the mail.

Shoplifting is a misdemeanor but depending on the value of the item(s) that were stolen, the penalities can include one year in jail and some heavy fines.

It's important that you have the representation of an attorney in this matter.

If you can't afford to hire one right now, then a public defender would be appointed to you at your first court date

Keep in mind that anything you say to the police or to the Kohls personnel can be used as evidence against you in a legal case.

Anything you wrote in the statement or signed can also be used as evidence against you.

So you want to be sure to have an attorney present if you are called in for questioning by the police.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Plz standby.
Sorry family arrived. I will do what u said and rate ur info. Thank u

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. It just takes a moment. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!