Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a HUGE concern. A little over a week ago, I was

Second opinion] Ok, so I...
Second opinion] Ok, so I have a HUGE concern. A little over a week ago, I was watching a naturist site, And i clicked an advertisement, but it took me to a page where child porn was visible!! When I clicked it, I had no idea that , that's what it was! was. After I realized what it was ( a few seconds ) And im a very paranoid/ anxious person. And now I'm FRIGHTENED that a cop will come to my house and arrest me.. it was a sincere accident!! And I need help. Do I have a need to worry?? It's been a week, are they gonna come to my door? Am I going to jail?? Please I need sincerity, and an opinion from an expert.
Forgot to mention that this is the second time, the first was a pop up , this one was an accidental click, but, on both instances , as soon as I found out what it was, I changed the site, didn't download anything, view no videos
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

.

You are NOT going to jail. You are NOT going to have a police officer show up at your door. If you clicked on a link and didn't do anything and clicked off you are NOT the person they're targeting. You're just NOT. They are not targeting the accidental clicker on a link... Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Could you give me a little more explanation why? Not saying you did a bad job answering, you did great! But I do have paranoia since it happened twice already

Because you accidentally stumbled upon a site. You didn't DO anything. You didn't INTEND to do anything.

It's natural to be anxious - but NOBODY is coming to get you. They're interested in people who want to and do commit crimes. Not people who accidentally stumble upon something and then close out of it! I'm not trying to put your mind at ease just because... I'm being truthful with you. Nobody is going to be knocking on your door :)

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer
Thank you you've been great :)
This question is just out of this question is just out of curiosity then how do many people get away with watching cp
I don’t know. There are no such published statistics available. But with something like that my assumption is that the odds are such that many many people eventually do get caught if this is what they do. At that point it is not accidental by any stretch of the imagination.
I also do have another concern, the reason that made me paranoid to begin with. A cop came into my house last Saturday following up what seemed a accidental 911 call, and he came knocking and asking if he can come in , ( while I was showering and didn't know till after he left and my parents told me ) he inspected the house to see if there was any real peril, so I thought and gave myself anxiety, thinking that he came to check out my phone see if I lived there, could this just be a coincidence, or could it be a plot to investigate?

That is very unusual - but likely a coincidence. If he showed up, saw that there wasn't an emergency and left, then there isn't any reason to believe it was anything other than a coincidence.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer