Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Just received phone call from SXXXn HXXXXr, stating he was a…

Just received phone call...

Just received phone call from SXXXn HXXXXr, stating he was a Public Defender and my Grandson had been arrested in Hartford Ct on a DUI after being involved in an automobile accident. Said Bond was $2190.00 to be sent via Walmart to Walmart transaction. Had some one who claimed to be my grandson talk to me and ask that I not tell his mother until he could tell her himself. Didn't sound right so I had a friend who owns a Bail Bond Co in Mo, call him and he hung up on him. I believe this to possibly be a scam. Any suggestions on further contact. I don't get an answer at the# ***** gave, let message and call was returned, but since he hung up on Bail Bondsman no return call. Appreciate any advise you can provide,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

He said it occurred in Ct. I don't have any info on type of car, was only told by individual alleging to be my grandson that he was in accident, and was arrested, Says other party ran red light, both were injured, and he was arrested. Steven Harper alleged Public Defender than called and said his dui test was .10, and bond original set at $5000.00 and he got it reduced to $2190.00 to sent via Walmart as they don't accept checks or credit card, but would accept debit card. That didn't seem right to me, so I had Bail Bondsman friend call him and hung up on him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He gave me a case # ***** but no Court info so I could verify.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just don't trust this call. Grandson is in US NAVY, stationed in Va.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

While public defenders really do reach out to family to verify ties to the community before arraigning their clients, this kind of a call is also a well-known scam known informally as the "grandparents' scam."

Scammers hack into someone's email account and get that person's contacts. Then they reach out with a so-called emergency and ask for money. What they count on is a knee-jerk reaction and that some loving relative will pay first and think only after their money is gone.

If your grandson were really arrested, you would never be sent to Walmart to get the money. You would be given the name of the court or the facility holding your grandson and you would send the money directly to that holding facility and not to a private individual. And in most states, these correctional institutions DO in fact take payment via credit cards.

The FBI has a special site for internet-related fraud called the Internet Crime Complaint Center. You can find it at www.IC3.gov and report this fraud online. You would also want to report it to the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov

I'm sure if you reach out to your grandson in Virginia, that's where you'll find him.

Thank you. Just as I thought.

You can see a lot of warnings about this fraud here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=grandparent+scam+bail&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS525US525&oq=grandparent+scam+bail&aqs=chrome..69i57.6508j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Make sure and let your grandson know that one of his accounts had to have been hacked for this to happen so that he can take precautions against further identity theft.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD