Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son is on probation and his p o violates him and has to…

Customer Question
My son is on...

My son is on probation and his p o violates him and has to go to court in April all fine dealing with that but now he went on a job interview yesterday and got the job he starts Wednesday, he had an appointment with his p o at 1030 he text her last night telling her he got a job and had to to Hamilton ni to fill out papers and was wondering if he could reschedule she freaked out said she was violating him and he had to be at her office Wednesday at 1230 he was mortified. So he asked her what the problem was and tried to explain but told him she was talking and not to speak and then hung up on him he then tried to text her to clear up the situation and she said he can’t work out of state so he said oh I understand why you got so angry he told her the job was not out of state he was just going there to fill out paper work because it was a staffing company and still she wants him to be at her office with no license and no babysitter and she knws this and he is supposed to start work tomorrow and has no idea what to do at this point but does not want to cause any trouble because she can put him back in jail technically

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/16/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation. Give me a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are absolutely correct that right now your son's PO has the authority to violate your son's probation, and as such he wants to make sure to comply with her requests, despite how unreasonable or unfair they might be.

For tomorrow, if the PO is demanding that he show up at that time to check in, then he should do so. Otherwise his PO may most likely violate him and issue a warrant for his arrest.

What your son needs to do to fix this situation is have his attorney file a motion with the court with regards ***** ***** work schedule and probation check in schedule.

His attorney can request that the court give preference to his work schedule, while also maintaining regularly scheduled visits to meet with his PO.

This is not an unreasonable request, and is actually something that the courts do on a regular basis.

This would ensure that your son has a court order allowing him to work his schedule hours, and that way he would be protected from random, unreasonable requests from his PO that interfere with his work schedule.

If your son had a public defender on his underlying case, his public defender can and should help with filing this motion on your son's behalf.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well seeing how he didnt start working yet and is supposed to start tomarrow and can’t I doubt he will even have the job after that so basically he just has to bend over and take it while a p o can just bully anyone and do pretty much whatever they want goooo law thank you for you time

Yes, unfortunately the way that probation works your son is currently 'at the mercy' of his PO.

His PO is of course being unreasonable, which is why your son would want to seek a court order permitting him a certain protected work schedule in the future.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer