Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Was recently charged with theft, due to my previous

Was recently charged with...

Was recently charged with theft, due to my previous employers policy, I have been prosecuted as such. I have a perfect record and would like to keep it that way.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the theft charges?

January 23rd

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

A plea bargain has been offered, a plea of guilty, $200 dollar fine and restitution, however the charge Wil go on my record

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Maine

1/16/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you have a particular question about your case that I can help with?

Also, is this your first ever criminal offense?

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered. Think of this more as a back and forth conversation. Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!

This is my first time offense. I just want to know what can be done to keep it from going on my record. It is going to be a Class E Misdemeanor Petty Theft to my understanding.

Unfortunately the arrest is already on your record.

If you accept the plea, a conviction will also be on your record.

Your other alternative would be to take your case to trial and try to obtain an acquittal so that a background check would show that although you were arrested, you were not convicted.

Unfortunately the state of Maine does not offer expungement like most other states. So in any event, the outcome of this case will unfortunately be on your record.

There is the possibility to obtain a pardon after 5 years, which can then be erased from your record after 10 years. However the pardon can be rather difficult to get obtained.

Your best option at this point would be to try to avoid a conviction and the stigma that comes with it for future job opportunities, etc.

See:

http://ccresourcecenter.org/state-restoration-profiles/maine-restoration-of-rights-pardon-expungement-sealing/

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Wasnt arrested, just fired and prosecuted.

Thanks for clarifying.

The criminal charge filed by the prosecutor's office will still show up on a background check, as will the final disposition of your case.

All of the information I shared above is still applicable.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer