Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am receiving death threats from some unknown person

I am receiving death...

I am receiving death threats from some unknown person through text message, and think this is related to someone i met througha dating website. i am not sure whether to respond, take this seriously, or just wait before going to the police. What is usually done in this kind of situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges have been filed, no court date exists.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

I live in pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is all, it started today, ans has gone on all day. i have not responded other than ti say i am confused and don't understand. This is all i have responded to the person or people sending the threats.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Ok - i will remain on this page until it is clear what next steps are regarding legal help

It is no casual matter to make a death threat and you should report this to the police, along with your suspicions as to who may be behind this. It is illegal and they will investigate and reach out to the person you suspect is behind it. That should put an end to the harassment.

How do these situations get handled if they are all through text messaging or online messaging means?

The wireless carrier and web site can trace the source. There is no privilege for making a death threat and, if credible, the police will reach out to the carrier to find out where the threats are coming from.

do i just call the police's 911 number? how do i even report this?

Go to the nearest police station and show them the text messages.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
the website does not allow me to click on the ratings.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer