Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

When someone is accused of rape and arrested then all of the…

When someone is accused of...
When someone is accused of rape and arrested then all of the physical evidence says the person is not guilty how long can the accused be held in jail in Texas?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Was the accused issued a bond?

If the bond amount has been paid, then the individual should be released from jail custody now.

Aside from that, the person would be released once one of the following occurs:

(1.) they are found not guilty at trial, OR

(2.) the prosecutor dismisses the charge against him.

Even if the evidence points to innocence, one of the above two still needs to occur before the defendant is released from custody (if a bond has not been issued or paid) or before the case is officially closed.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A bond was issued, it was not paid. The accused has yet to go to trial. His arrest was 3 years ago. This is the first time anyone has given me any information as to why my son is still being held in the Tyler County Justice Center in Woodville, Texas. His court appointed attorney never would communicate with him. The attorney quit showing up at court hearings. We are open to suggestions to get an attorney to help my son.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm not sure why his trial is being delayed this long.

Yes, he should look into hiring a new attorney.

You can get a referral for a pro bono criminal defense attorney in his area if you contact the Texas State Bar.

The phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. It is much needed information. Living in Wyoming trying to answer from Texas has been very frustrating.

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer