Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was recently arrested in Orange County ty for being

I was recently arrested...

I was recently arrested in Orange County ty for being kntoxocated I public. The arrest occurred in California, however I live in Nevada. I have a court date set for January 22. I am planning on flying back to California. However, is there anyway, with the help of a good lawyer, that this could be taken care of without me having to fly back to California for court? I would love to have this not on my record, and reduced to an infraction.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

The arrest occurred in California. I live in Nevada. It occurred on December 22.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I’m not sure. How can I tell?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is my first offense. I am a practicing physician. I don’t have any history of a criminal record

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2018
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Are you looking to fight this or try and resolve it?

Good morning. Would like to fight it and resolve.
Ok??

Thank you. The obstacle is that you want to fight it, which would require you appearing at trial, which means you would have to appear. Now, if you just wanted to resolve it an attorney could likely appear on your behalf and waive your appearance and see if the court would resolve this with a plea in absentia. However, if you want to try and get it off your record and not go to trial, you may have to appear and see if they will offer you a diversion program. If you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible.

The diversion program sounds interesting. I also forgot to mention that I suffer from vertigo and depression and was recently placed on medications for these problems. I’m not sure of that chnges a thing

It would not and Yes, the diversion program could allow this to be dismissed if offered. You can hire an attorney and have them appear and speak with them about your situation and travel and if they could even get the State to agree to let you do what is needed, in your home state. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, I am currently on. Erween jobs.if I get put on one of the programs you mentioned, how would that effect t my employment

Unlikely. For these programs, you should have enough time to do what is required after work hour.

I was referring to would it show up as a misdemeanor?

If convicted it would, since it is a misdemeanor.

Thanks. Are you available for more questions later?

Yes and would be happy to respond but just ask that this time you rate my help, so the site will provide me with the proper credit. After you do so you can return and I would be happy to respond

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty